Saturday, March 27, 2010

Movie Reviews

Shutter Island
I saw this a few weeks ago and it still sticks with me but mainly because I was annoyed at the ending. I know others loved the ending and it certainly was a nuanced ending and you had to listen to every word to understand exactly what happened, but I didn't want that ending and that's that.
Leonardo di Caprio was amazing as always in this dark and compelling story. It was definitely worth watching but pay attention to get the most out of the story.

Boy
This is a New Zealand film written, directed and acted in by Taika Cohen, one of New Zealand's great talents. If you get a chance to see this, do so. It is funny, hilarious at times, and very poignant. It has wonderful acting and tells a simple story in a great setting. This is the story of a New Zealand Maori family but it could be a story happening in any part of the world.

Law Abiding Citizen
This is brutal so if you don't like too much blood and gore, then stay away. It's well acted and pulls you through at a fast enough pace but I was worried about how to reconcile the man the main character was to who he became. They throw in a kind of an explanation but it seemed a little gratuitous. Not a must see.


Remember Me
If you want to see this movie, don't, I repeat DON'T go on the internet to see any reviews until afterwards. Just take my word for that or it will be spoilt. I get what the writer was trying to say but many haven't. They thought it was just a love story and it's not. It has a much wider message. The young actors did a good job with a sometimes cliched script. Worth seeing.

Mao's Last Dancer
I loved this but then I am a dancer from way back. The dance scenes were amazing and the main actor, who is first and foremost a dancer, was superb. This is based on a true story and a real person who is still living, so that made it even more fascinating. If you love dance, true life stories and drama then see this.

6 comments:

raine said...

I'm so glad I stopped by. Have been debating seeing "Shutter Island" for a while now.
Maybe I'll make the time now. Thanks for the review. :)

Suzanne said...

It's well worth it, Raine, and let me know what you think afterwards.

Suzanne

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

I already told Jeff I wanted to see Shutter Island and now I REALLY do!!! Will pay close attention to the ending.

Wild wave, dear Suzanne!!! I have something for you on my blog.

Hugs, Nancy

Suzanne said...

Coming over to have a look, Nancy.

Suzanne

Heather Dugan Creative / Footsteps said...

I always appreciate these reviews of yours! Hoping I'll run across "Boy"...

Suzanne said...

Boy will give you a small window into small town life in New Zealand. Even though this was set in the '80's, it is still a valid picture of life today in many places.

Suzanne