Saturday, September 6, 2008

5 Favorite Cities

Some time ago, I think I blogged about my favorite places but I haven't actually done my favorite cities. This is very personal because I am not a city lover as I don't like crowds. Therefore my criteria is very different from those who love bustlings cities, bright lights and shopping, which, by the way, I do not enjoy at all. Strange, I know. I will display them in descending order to my number one city.

No.5: Prague, Czech Republic.

I saw this city a couple of years ago and was entranced by its atmosphere, its castle and in particular by its gothic cathedral, St. Vitus, but then again I can't pass a gothic anything without swooning.
No. 4: Ljubjiana, Slovenia.

I mentioned this city a couple of posts ago - about the prison hostel. This city is ancient but also open and clean with the requisite river through the middle lined by cafe and restaurants, oozing with flowers and aromas to die for.

No. 3: Bath, England.

Most English cities and towns have great character attached to them. Bath attracted me in particular for its sense of history, its beauty and the fact that Jane Austen lived here.No. 2: Edinburgh, Scotland.

I've probably mentioned before how much I love Scotland. When I first arrived by plane in Edinburgh, I was immediately captured by the small, identical houses lining the streets - so different from how we live in New Zealand. The centre is charming with its castle and lovely park. I was probably influenced by the sunny days we had there for I have heard it can be rather grim. However, to me it was everything a city should be - small enough to walk around easily, open and spacious, full of glorious gothic churches and of course a castle right in the centre. No 1: Rome, Italy


You already know this is my favorite city because I have told you so a few times. It is so rich in history and art that I walk around in a daze at the beauty of the place. It is a city that vibrates with life and atmosphere and can't help but entrance anyone who visits.

11 comments:

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

Suzanne, what an AMAZING post!!! I have always wanted to see where you travel and this blog gives me a front row seat. :D Love the photographs and your super traveling experiences!!!

I would swoon if I could see one castle. :D You are a lucky woman. And talented too.

Hugs, JJ

Suzanne said...

You haven't lived if you haven't seen a castle, Nancy. LOL. Actually you live in a pretty amazing place yourself from your photos.

Suzanne

raine said...

Suzanne, your photos are, as always, absolutely gorgeous.
It's strange, but your Edinburgh looks very familiar to me, though I've certainly never been there or studied the geography.
But ROME...I can certainly understand your feeling about it, and it's long been on my bucket list.
City of the immortals.

Suzanne said...

A past life, of course, Raine. That's the only explanation for your familiarity with Edinburgh. And yes, Rome is a worthy addition to your bucket list.

Suzanne

raine said...

A past life, of course, Raine.

Oh, is THAT what it is, lol.
I would love to see the gothic churches...

Heather Dugan Creative / Footsteps said...

Lovely photos, Suzanne! Rome, Edinburgh and Prague have long been on my "must go to" list (I have a fold-out postcard of Prague above my desk). I'd better get going soon though, because everytime I read your travel posts I end up adding another "must see" destination!

Suzanne said...

Your day will come, Heather. As you know, I have traveled heaps but my wish-see list never gets any smaller.

Suzanne

Janine Kain said...

Having lived in Edinburgh for 15 years - it was wonderful to see it place at #2.

Suzanne said...

Jackal, sometimes a place just captures your heart and that's what Edinburgh did to me.

Suzanne

Mark H said...

Some great choices and a great post. For what it is worth (and I like lists like these), mine are:

1. Paris, France
2. Florence, Italy
3. Sydney, Australia
4. Prague, Czech Republic
5. San Francisco, USA

but I greatly enjoyed Rome, Bath and Edinburgh as well.

Lifecruiser said...

Hi, I came here from Travel Wonders of the World. Wow, you certainly have been traveling much. I do hope that you'll write more posts about travel, since that's my big interest too :-)

The only city I have visited of those 5, is Edinburgh which I love very much and hope to go back to some day. It's promising because Ryanair has opened a flight from Sweden to Edinburgh, so now we can fly direct there. Earlier we had to go by Prestwick. Sure there are other air companies, but we prefer low fare ones within Europe since we can travel more then :-)

The other cities, especially Prague, is on my wish list....

Lifecruiser Travel Blog

Happy travel :-)