Monday, March 17, 2008

Five things you didn't know about me.

I was tagged by Tinasue to make this list so here goes:


1) When I was 18, I spent a year teaching at a High School in the Fiji Islands on Volunteer Service Abroad, which is the equivalent to the US Peace Corps. I had an incredible, harrowing, inspiring year but would probably not want to repeat it. That's me in the photo in Fiji.

2) I sometimes dream at night of tables laden with cakes, which I am unable for various reasons to reach. Very frustrating. I have dreamt this all my life. Yes, I have a sweet tooth but am now at an age when I can no longer eat a cake without my weight increasing by at least 10 kilos so they are taboo. Certain elements of life are very sad.

3) I hate conflict - will avoid it like the devil, but if you get in my face I will fight back like a lioness protecting her young. This is my space, my life and keep your sordid hands off it. Touch me or my family and I change character. There are certain things which are sacred. Stay away.

4) I do arm exercises with weights almost every night and though my muscles are strong, the surrounding flesh is still less than desirable. What's that all about? By the way that is not me in the photo.

5) I studied ballet from 4 years old until I was 17. I also ran my own ballet school while still at high school. That was the first of many teaching jobs that I have had throughout my life. At different times I have had jobs teaching, Math, English, Art, Fashion Design and Ballet as well as homeschooling my son for many years.



12 comments:

Abas KS said...

Hi, Suzanne

How are you?

I saw your comment on Sinu's KErala articles blog & decided to stop by your blog. Tempting looking cupcakes, yeah. :-D I hope your coming trip to Egypt will be wonderful.


Abas
voyage.aimvotal.com

Suzanne said...

Thank you for dropping in Abas.

Suzanne

raine said...

An interesting woman who has led an interesting life.
And those cakes definitely mean SOMETHING, durn it!

Suzanne said...

Thanks Raine. I think I know what the cakes mean and I'll tell you some time. How about I tag you to do your list?

Suzanne

Bernita said...

Difficult to avoid the teaching gene, methinks.
I have (tried) teaching Lit to engineers.

Suzanne said...

Hi Bernita. I notice you use the word 'tried'. I tried teaching English in Italy to engineer types and it was a rough road to success - too logical, tried to analyse everything. The ear, the ability to absorb without analysis and a relaxed attitude are the prerequisites to learning a language.

Suzanne

By Tina-Sue Ducross said...

Suzanne,

Thanks for playing! Your list is way better than mine and I love all the pretty pictures.
An incredibly interesting life you have led!
Tina-Sue

Suzanne said...

Thanks Tina-sue. I still feel there is so much to do. I guess I'll be feeling like that when I'm 80.

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

Suzanne, I had no idea about the ballet teaching. How cool! You are a graceful woman while I'm a woods stomping one. :D But I know you stomp around in woods too. :D

Your Fiji days must have been a dream come true when the days were beautiful.

I enjoyed getting to know you better.

Hugs, Nancy/JJ

Suzanne said...

Born and bred on a farm, Nancy, so I definitely know how to woods stomp.
Watching ballet still sweeps me away to another world though I love all forms of dancing.
Fiji is a great place for a relaxing holiday though it's a little different when you live there.

Suzanne

raine said...

Oh, don't do that, lol. I've led a very boring life!

RaymondBurton.com said...

That girl working out... her name is Branda and that picture is from the website http://www.buildingbodies.ca

Cheers all!
From Ray Burton the owner and writer of the fitness tips and tricks you will find there.